Happy New Year! Welcome back to school! I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays. I am looking forward to working with the students in person and observing each one grow as readers and writers. Many of our resource students are participating in the “Road to Reading” Program and are on the red (first) level. When students complete this level, they should be able to do the following:
- Identify all consonant sounds.
- Identify the five short vowel sounds (/a/, /i/, /o/, /u/, and /e/).
- Read and spell closed syllable words (e.g., bat, sit, hot, run, fed).
- Identify the diagraphs th, ch, sh, and -ck.
- Read and spell closed syllable words with the digraphs th, ch, sh, and -ck (e.g., thick, shin, chick).
Also, there are three students participating in the Edmark Reading Program and three Primary students participating in the phonological awareness program “Road to the Code”. Each student is working at their own pace and the programs are adapted to meet the needs of individual students.
If you have any questions or concerns pertaining to the program planning process or elementary resource, please feel free to contact me at the school.